Задание от гостя:Размещено 11.10.2015 10:51:07
Grammar in Use
The basic word order of a positive or negative sentence
(the key elements are underlined)
subject verb(s) object adverbials
How? Where? When?
He doesn’t live at hostel.
Jane is surfing the Internet at the computer
spend a lot of time memorising
Postgraduates are allowed
as doctors after
We also put time reference (When?) at the beginning:
Now Jane is surfing the Internet at the computer lab.
1. Rewrite the sentences that don’t make sense.
Underline subjects and verbs.
1. Some entrants achieve good results.
2. Computer labs attend students.
3. Wushu classes take people.
4. Play our sportsmen volleyball and badminton.
5. Refresher courses take doctors every five
6. The curriculum includes a lot of subjects.
7. The First or the Second Medical Faculty
8. Scientific career dreams of my friend.
How to pronounce years
Pattern e.g. Pronunciation
seventeen oh four
eleven oh three
nineteen oh six
two thousand and
nineteen thirty one
nineteen ninety eight
twenty twenty five
2. Arrange the words in each sentence in the right
1. internship/future surgeons/for 3 years/attend
2. a scientific career/my friend/dreams of
curriculum/and/general/ for the first
4. sports/in their free time/students/in for/go
5. wants/Miss MA/to take part/Ann/show/in
6. a lot of/at the library/are/books/there/in/
3. Match years and events. Pay attention to the
pronunciation of the years.
1931 a introduction of a new specialty
‘state management in public health’
1978 b my entrance into MA
2012 c receiving of Order of the Red
Banner of Labour
1936 d organisation of the first medical
faculty of CSMU
1961 e organisation of the paediatrics
faculty of CSMU
201X f foundation of the faculty of
dentistry of CSMU
1945 g coming of first foreign students to
1981 h return of CSMU from evacuation20
I / We / You /
He / She / It studies
I / We / You /
He / She / It doesn’t
do I / we /
you / they study medicine?
does he / she /
Signal words: always, often, regularly, every
day, from time to time, on Mondays, usually, in
general, sometimes, seldom, never
1 Permanent truths: The sun rises in the east.
2 Habitual actions: I take wushu classes on
Tuesday and Friday.
3 Future reference (for timetables): The exam
starts at 8 a.m. next Wednesday.
4. Complete the sentences with the proper form of
the verb in the Present Simple.
1. Jane … (to want) to become a neurologist.
2. … you … (to get) to the Academy by minibus?
3. How long … it … (to take) you to revise for the
test in chemistry?
4. We … (to memorise) from 50 to 200 new
anatomical terms every week.
5. Usually I … (not to work) at the library. I … (to
like) surfing the Internet.
6. About 400 foreign students … (to come) to
study at our University every year.
7. The first-year curriculum … (not to include)
Russian literature or geography.
8. What departments … the fourth-year students
… (to attend)?
5. Use the Present Continuous in the sentences
1. I can’t come now. I … … (to work) on the
project on philosophy.
2. ‘Where’s Boris?’ ‘He … … (to play) badminton
in the sports facilities.’
3. ‘… George and Bill … (to revise) for their
exams?’ ‘Oh, no. They … … (to prepare) for the
concert to the Day of the First Medical Faculty.’
4. ‘Where’s Dan? He … … … (not to swim) with
5. In May all of us are very busy. We … … (to
take) external standardised testing.
6. Shhhh… I … … (to talk) to the Rector!
7. … Jake … (to go) to the party tonight?
8. Oh dear! We … … (to have) five module tests
He / She / It is
We / You / They are
is he / she /
are we / you /
Signal words: now, at present, at the moment,
still, while (at present)
1 Actions in progress at the moment of
speaking: She’s surfing the Internet now.
2 Temporary actions/situations: My friends are
studying Dentistry at MA.
3 Planned actions (+tomorrow, next year/month,
etc.): We’re spending next holiday in England
Stative verbs are not normally used in
e.g. :I think you are right.
I hate being late.
6. Ask the questions to get the missing
information. Give sample answers.
e.g. I am going to ________ tonight.
Where are you going to tonight? – To the
1. Our classes usually start at ____________.
2. He memorises _____ terms for 10 minutes.
How many terms _______________________
3. It takes __________ years to complete the
course at the medical university.
How long _____________________________
4. She can’t come. She’s cutting a cadaver at _.
5. The students are discussing _________ with
the associate professor.
6. We start communicating with patients _____.
7. They work in small groups with __________.
8. I am so happy because_______________.
7. Read Natalya’s letter to her pen friend. Use the
verbs in brackets in the correct form.
Thanks a lot for your address in Brazil.
My name _____ (to be) Natalya. I ______
(to be) 18 years old.
I _______ (to live) in Russia. My city,
Simferopol, ______ (to be) situated in the
Crimea, not far from the Black Sea. I _______
(to like) it very much.
At present I _________ (to take) the
course of medicine at Crimean State Medical
University. I ____ (to be) in my first year. I
_________ (to work) hard because it _____ (to
be) difficult to study medicine.
Usually we _________ (to start) learning
at 8 in the morning. We _______ (to have)
several lectures and seminars every day. But
after classes I _________ (not to go) home! I
_________ (to hurry) to the reading hall, or the
computer lab, or to the anatomy department.
Imagine, today we ________ (to cut) up a
In my free time (though I __________ (not
to have) much free time) I ______ (to go)
running or ________ (to take) kudo classes. I
also _______ (to read) a lot. Now I _________
(to read) … an atlas of human anatomy!
By the way, if you _____ (to be) interested
in medicine you may join our university, too. We
________ (to have) a lot of students from
abroad, and our lecturers ___________ (to
teach) in both Russian and English.
Well, what about you? _____ you _____
(to go) to the university? What course _____
you ______ (to take)? What _______ you
________ in your free time?
I ________ (to look) forward to your
Your pen friend, Natalya.
Assess your progress in this unit. Tick () the
statements that are true.
I can talk about MA, a higher medical
school where I study
I can talk about students’ studies and how
they spend their free time
I can describe what is happening at the
I know how to make sentences in English
I can put general and special questions
I know how to pronounce dates
Мы будем вынуждены удалить ваши комментарии при наличии в них нецензурной брани, оскорблений или спама